Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanks

Seated at a round table in the middle of the restaurant, my dad to my left, Chloe on my right, and my aunt and cousins adjacent, I heard the familiar guitar of Green Day played gently over our conversation. I hope you had the time of your life... This song always reminds me of the video dad made of our childhood super 8 footage and generally spurs a sort of reflective state. As I sat there, surrounded by one side of my family and preparing for the return to the other half, I felt completely content. 

I mentally took flight from the table and returned to treasured moments the last month provided me; seeing how absolutely in love Danny and Mel are and witnessing their wedding vows, rekindling my beautiful bond with Amanda, fondue with my high school sweeties, Keikai breaking through the oddity of our arrangement and making me laugh like old times, watching football with Chloe and dad, reminiscing with Meredith, Emily, and Laurel about our old shenanigans, reuniting with Megan and seeing how beautifully happy and gifted she is, and seeing all of my college friends succeeding and moving through the world with incredible velocity. I did have the time of my life I thought, and I am thankful for all of it, the good and the bad. 

When faced with leaving Mexico a month ago, I was scared and unsure, hesitant to leave the tranquil wild west to return to my old stomping grounds. Now, 1 day away from traveling back to my new home, I couldn't be happier. Though this month flew by, I accomplished everything I set out to do. I laughed, cried, worked, and laughed some more. I baked 5 pies for Thanksgiving. I had several giggle-filled days with Amanda, Ophelia, and Aaron. I spent almost every second with my beautiful baby sister whom I love more than words can describe. Before I came back, the space between Pozos and Minnesota seemed like a gaping hole of nothingness that I was attempting to cross as safely as possible. After a month here, I feel that the pathway is paved with connections from me to them, them to me. Loving phonecalls, emails, energy and thoughts being transmitted through the miles of separation. So as I gaze out my frosted window at the leafless trees black against the colored streaks of the early morning sky, I see love. Passages of mine and other peoples love strewn through the sky, illuminating it with shades of salmon and baby blue. The stark maples and oaks sprawling branches reminding of my roots and my journey. 

This Thanksgiving I am grateful with every fiber of my being for my extraordinary family and friends. Happy holidays everyone, I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment