Sunday, March 10, 2013

Allowing

I love driving in the morning. I leave my sunglasses off, enjoying my full, unadulterated exposure to the sun's first glimmers onto my side of the earth. I don't mind that I have to squint, that I am not fully aware of every detail that lay ahead, because that warm sense of possibility that only the pre-breakfast sky can offer, reassures me, if only for that moment, that every little thing is gonna be alright.


In the year after I had Tallulah, I arrogantly and ignorantly thought I had it all figured out. I had resolved my issues, thrown the skeletons out of my closet and gone forward powerfully, following my passion and the values that I knew to be true. I was gardening when he came and the ground I stood so solidly on began to shake and disintegrate. David, a single 34 year old man, a meanderer who had, on a whim, decided to venture to the small Pueblo Magico town I live in, wandered into the store in our front hall and struck up a conversation with my grandma.

"What do you do?" she asked him.
"I am a dance teacher at Arthur Murray in San Miguel." He replied.

My grandma, ever my biggest fan, then launched into a long winded explanation of my accolades in ballroom dance.

"Let me go get her."

David, who had assumed that I lived elsewhere, was about to thank my grandma and leave, but instead stood there dumbfounded and nervous to meet the ballroom dance giant my overzealous grandma had described.

"Tara!" she bellowed for me.

I was in the middle of deciding where to plant my carrots and broccoli, root depth, sunlight, space, and I was instantly irritated assuming I was being summoned for yet another menial task.

"What?!"

I thought I had been clear about the fact that I was not to be interrupted as Tallulah was sleeping and I only had a limited amount of time to devote to my planting.

"I think I have a job offer for you." she stated cheerfully with a wide smile on her face that made my eyes roll rudely.

I saw him standing there in the doorway, a handsome, small statured man. I liked his hair. He told me about the studio and that they were looking for a female instructor. I ran back to mom's room and told her excitedly, I could see the apprehension in her eyes.

I started training a month later. My first day Christie said "Just dance with her, she's had an appendage hanging off of her for the last 2 years, she wants to dance." And she was right. Ramon, who I had met once before in passing, took my hand and led me into a Rumba. In the short spurts of time in which Ramon's bashful and intimidated eyes weren't focused on the floor, our gazes would meet. The combination of his strong lead, hydrating my need for dance, and the deep brown of his iris shining beneath a long canopy of curly black lashes, sent a shock through my system, something I had never felt in my 23 year life. It felt good.

It was July 4th when we first kissed. The first day I stayed late. He hugged me intensely and said shyly, that beautiful smile creeping across his face "I wish to always be this happy." He walked me to my car and there, with 10 valet parking attendants as our witnesses, he gently pressed his lips to mine. Shit. Shit. Shit. Was all I could think on my hour long drive home.

"Stay with me." He said, his charming face leaning toward me in a way that would have made my knees buckle had I not been sitting in the driver's seat of my car. "I can't..." I said begrudgingly. But eventually I did. I tried many times to convince myself that what I felt wasn't real. But inevitably,  my core won out and I gave into the fact that I loved him. More than any friend I had ever had. More than any man I had been intimate with. More.

And now, 8 months after that first kiss, I am facing a new reality. All of my previous lessons learned behind me, and a whole new set ahead. I find myself in a situation, hopelessly entangled with a man who makes me feel more but simulataneously isn't enough. My dance partner. My co-worker. My friend. My lover. There are so many torturous things in this life. Don't let a man who doesn't love you be one of them. Cheryl Strayed makes it sound so easy. And in a way it is. I have the ability to set the boundary. I can let go. I can squint, and let the sunlight obstruct my vision. I can be at peace with the uncertainty of what lay ahead. I can allow.




No comments:

Post a Comment