Saturday, April 10, 2010

Faith


While arguing with Keikai a couple of weeks ago, I brought up the subject of faith. I told him that in order to flourish in this environment, he must have the same faith in our project as he has in his God. There is no proof of this God or the stories inspired by it, yet he maintains an unwavering belief. Keikai is leaving Mexico on Friday, it seems he wasn't able to let himself trust our endeavor with the same conviction he maintains in his religion. Another non-believer left us in March, my mom's husband, Davis. Davis is also a religious man, brought up in a God fearing country guided by the rules of the Christian church. Ironically, he was also not able to develop faith in our family venture.
Emotions have swelled in the last few weeks in light of these happenings. My mother is working on coming to terms with losing her companion of 15 years. I, a woman in my third trimester of pregnancy with my first child, am coping, or trying to cope, with the fact that the only man I've ever loved and the father of my child won't be a witness to this fantastic journey. In the midst of all of this, I can't stop thinking on the concept of Faith.
Many people will argue that faith and fact are two distinct categories with opposing definitions. Facts are true, inarguable artifacts backed by proof. Faith is a matter of uncertainty, believing in the unknown. If asked which they are more likely to abide by, my wager would be that most if not all would answer "fact." My question is...Why?

I was recently introduced to the book The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles. On page one of the introduction Wattles boldly states
I expect the reader to take my statements on faith as he would take statements concerning a law of electrical action if they were promulgated by a Macaroni or an Edison. By taking these statements on faith, he will prove their truth by acting upon them without fear or hesitation. Every man or woman who does this will certainly get rich. The science in this book is an exact science, and failure is impossible.

I'm fairly certain this statement may prompt scoffs and snickers from the person trained to think of life in a linear fashion. My question remains, if we can have faith in religions that navigate our moral compasses based on many absurd, abstract writings and guilt, why can't we simply trust our intuitions and manifest our own lives?

As we become more conscious and recognize the impact of our thoughts and attitudes-our internal life- upon our physical bodies and external lives, we no longer need to conceive of an external parent-God that creates for us and on whom we are fully dependent. As spiritual adults we accept responsibility for co-creating our lives and our health. Co-creation is in fact the essence of spiritual adulthood: it is the exercise of choice and the acceptance of our responsibility for those choices.
-Caroline Myss PH.D. Anatomy of the Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment